When the weather heats up it’s only natural that we crave different foods, nevertheless Summer is a time when our skin tends to be on show the most. Well, don’t worry, we’ve cooked up three delicious recipes to keep your skin and your stomach happy this summer.
Kale Salad – Serves 2
100g kale – rinsed, chopped and steamed
Half an avocado – diced
45g cooked quinoa
1 pomegranate – seeds only
Handful chopped walnuts
30g feta cheese – cubed
½ tbsp sugar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Half a lemon zest and juice
- Mix the sugar, olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice together to make a vinaigrette.
- In a large bowl, add the kale, avocado, quinoa, pomegranate seed, walnuts, feta and vinaigrette and gently mix.
- Serve immediately.
Tuna Salad – Serves 2
1 tuna steak – cooked and cut into small chunks
1 cabbage – thinly sliced
2 radishes – thinly sliced
½ red pepper – thinly sliced
1 shallot – thinly sliced
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
- Mix the ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar (or lemon juice) in a small bowl.
- Add the cabbage, radishes, shallot, pepper and tuna in a large bowl and mix.
- Add the dressing mixture and toss to coat the salad.
- Top with the tuna and sesame seeds. Season with a small amount of pepper if required.
Chicken Wrap – Serves 2
4 wholemeal wraps
2 chicken breasts – cooked so the juices run clear and there is no pink in the middle, the chop into bitesize pieces
2 tomatoes -diced
4 handfuls of spinach
1 tsp chopped jalepeno pepper – jarred is easiest
1 clove of garlic – minced
½ a lime – juice and zest
1 tbsp olive oil
Small handful of coriander – finely chopped
1 tbsp orange juice
- Add the garlic, lime juice and zest, olive oil, coriander and orange juice to a pestle and mortar and mix until smooth.
- Mix the tomatoes, spinach, jalepeno pepper, remaining lime juice and the remaining coriander together and season with some salt and pepper. Add the coriander mix made above and combine.
- Assemble the wraps by adding some of the tomato and spinach mixture to each and topping with the cooked chicken. You can add some salsa or other sauce at this point if you wish.